How to Move Steam Games to another Drive in 2021
How to move steam games to another drive? Recently, games have become increasingly extensive and, as a result, have taken up a large portion of your hard drive. The result is that Steam has decided to make its users able to move specific games between different drives. This way, a few game files can be transferred to another location without downloading numerous gigabytes again.
However, many gamers may not be aware of this feature. Because of this, we have put together a simple guide that will explain how to move your steam games from one drive to another.
How to Transfer a Steam Game to a New Drive
Steam offers several library folders, so you can decide where your games will be installed after they have been downloaded. In addition, users can now move their games after they have downloaded them from the company’s website. The process was complicated until recently, but now it’s pretty straightforward.
How to Transfer a Steam Game to a New Drive Manually
Transferring your Steam games to another drive shouldn’t take long:
- The first step is to create a library folder for the game on your second drive. Open Steam and go to the Settings page.
- Navigate to Steam Library Folders by hitting Downloads.
- Select “Add Library Folder” and the drive where the folder will be created.
- Choose the “New Folder” option and name the folder as you like.
- Then hit the “Select” button to highlight the newly created folder. Steam will now display the folder in its list of library folders. Shut the window.
- In the library, right-click your game and select “Properties.”
- Select “Local Files,” then click “Move Install Folder.”
- Click on “Move Folder” and choose the library where you want to store the game.
- A new drive will be designated for the game. Repeat the process if you want to transfer other games. Additionally, Steam will let you choose where to install future games when you install them.
Transferring a Steam game to an external drive
Another handy feature is moving a Steam game to an external drive. The process is as follows:
- To move a game, open Steam and locate it.
- Choose “Properties” from the shortcut menu.
- Open your File Explorer and select “Browse Local Files.” Steam’s folder will be displayed now.
- Steam has just opened a folder. Find the folder containing it. Your game’s folder will be located in the “common” folder by default.
- Cut the file and go to an external drive by pressing Control + X.
- All you have to perform is copy the folder. Now you’ll be able to use your external drive, but you’ll be connected to Steam to do so.
How to Transfer Installed Games to another Drive
You can move all your Steam games to a different drive by taking the following steps:
- If your Steam client is running, stop it.
- Using your File Explorer, navigate to Steam’s folder.
- Find the installed games you wish to transfer in Steam’s installation folder. The program files folder should be there.
- The Steam folder should be copied and pasted to your new drive.
- Please rename your old folder to Steam.bkp and leave it in the directory. You can use it as a backup or delete it later.
- To create a shortcut, right-click on the Steam.exe file and choose “new shortcut”. Alternatively, you can double-click the File to launch the app and enter your login information.
How to Use Steam Library Manager to Transfer Games in Batch
Steam offers a feature called Library Manager, which lets you move your games in batches. Your games can be copied, backed up, or transferred to different libraries quickly with it. The process is as follows:
- Download your Library Manager.
- Start the program after the download is complete to see your library and installed games.
- Drag and drop all the games you want to move into the desired library.
- Navigate to “Task Manager”. Here are the games that will be transferred. Press “Start” to begin the process of transferring multiple games.
- After it finishes, restart your client to apply the changes.
How to Change Your Steam Library Location
Additionally, you can change the location of your Steam library:
- Open the client and go to Settings.
- You can find the section called “Content Libraries” by clicking “Downloads” on your left.
- Click on “Steam Library Folders.”
- The location of your library folder will be displayed in a window.
- At the bottom-left corner, press on the “Add Library Folder” button.
- Your file system will be displayed in another window. Create a library on one of your drives (D, C, etc.). Keep in mind that one library can be stored on a single drive.
- Press “Select” after you’ve chosen the destination. You’ll now have various locations where you can store your games.
- Right-click on the new folder location and choose the “Make Default Folder” option from the menu.